Why Choose an Accredited Mediator?
The Standard for Excellence
Ontario’s Association for Family Mediation (OAFM) Accredited Family Mediator designation (AccFM) has become the standard for excellence in family mediation in Ontario. The AccFM designation is recognized by the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ontario Family Court System.
The OAFM also standardizes accreditation criteria for Child Protection Mediators (CPMed) and Intergenerational Mediators (IM) in Ontario.
Protecting the Consumer
The OAFM requires Accredited Family and other Mediators to adhere to requirements for the safety and protection of consumers including:
- Standards of Practice for mediation
- Regular training and certification on Intimate Partner Violence and Power Imbalances
- Liability insurance (minimum $1,000,000)
Educational and Training Requirements
In addition, the OAFM requires Accredited Family and other Mediators to meet rigorous requirements before accreditation is granted. This process may take several years to complete and includes:
- Educational requirements
- Supervised work experience
- Fundamentals of family mediation training
- Advanced family mediation training
- Intimate partner violence training
- Family law training
- Family relations training
- Supervised practical experience
These standards and requirements protect you, the consumer.
Similar compulsory training, learning and supervised work obligations are in place for Child Protection Mediators and Intergenerational Mediators to meet OAFM accreditation standards.